Animal Intake


If you have found a stray animal, please visit our Resources page for more on how to help the animal find its way home.



At the PVHS, while we recognize that the best place for every pet is in a loving home with their family, we also understand that pet owners can sometimes find themselves in a situations beyond their control, leading people to inquire about our pet surrender process.

Having to surrender an animal is often a difficult decision, and not one to be taken lightly. We strive to offer guidance to help the pet stay in their home, but if surrendering is the best course of action, we promise that we will do our best to help the pet find a new and loving home.

Note: We do not accept animal drop-offs.  All animal surrenders must be arranged in advance with PVHS’ Shelter Manager. Our shelter is often at capacity. You may be placed on our intake waiting list & contacted as kennel space becomes available.

If you need to surrender an animal, you will need to pay a surrender fee when you leave the animal in our care. The surrender fees help pay for the high costs of operating our shelter, and pays for things like food and veterinary care for the animals.

Please call 204-822-9413 or email us to make arrangements to surrender an animal.


Surrender Fees:

Kittens under 1 year old – $35

Litter of kittens (two or more kittens from the same litter, with or without mother) - $50

Adult cats over 1 year old – $35

Puppies under 1 year - $60

Litter of puppies (two or more puppies form the same litter, with or without mother) - $100

Adult dogs over 1 year old - $60

*The mother should be sterilized to prevent future unwanted litters! If you choose not to have the mother spayed or surrender her into our care, we may be unable to assist you in the future.*

We recognize the urgency many people feel when they rescue a stray animal and want to help it or if they need to surrender their own animal but, unfortunately, our kennels are often full so we cannot guarantee space. You may be placed on a waiting list and contacted when a kennel becomes available. In the meantime, please phone your area’s animal control officer to place the animal in the care of the pound. If you live in an area that does not have a pound or animal control officer, please phone your area’s council and inform them that you see a need for one.