Happy Tails

Stan Lee

Stan Lee was originally brought to the shelter in 2011, as a stray. He returned a whooping TWICE for various reasons, no fault of his own. This handsome boy finally found his furever home in 2018, with a loving family and two doggie siblings (to everyone’s great surprise!). Almost everyone of our volunteers was sad to see him go. Happy tails, Stan!


Portia was returned to us (through no fault of her own) when she was TWELVE YEARS OLD. We reached out to find a foster or furever home, this old lady was still kicking and has a few good years ahead of her! After a short week in the shelter, she was sent to a foster home in Winnipeg where she was almost immediately adopted and now has a home (and window ledge) to call her own!

We’re so happy for you, Portia!



Indy and his twin sister Marion came to us as strays. Indy was returned once, through no fault of his own, but sometimes things work out exactly how they need to. Indy now lives with an amazing family, a new sister Tika (who he loves almost as much as Marion), a big back yard and more love than he’s ever known before. Good job, Indy!


Dave and Candice Bone

When I first started with PVHS I was a cat guy all the way. Dogs had a place in my heart, but I had spent my entire life loving, caring for and rescuing every cat that I possibly could, even if that meant having litters of kittens born in our spare room. I married a cat lady, and was proud to be a part of PVHS and the great work they do (especially for the cats). I wish I could say it was love at first sight with Max. It was not. Max came to the shelter in October of 2017. He was only a few months old, and he hated me. I was having success with dogs and feeling confident that I just might be more than a cat guy…. I was a dog guy as well! Max shattered that confidence. Anytime I came near his kennel, he growled and lunged and sneered at me in a way that made me fear and despise him equally. Did he not know who I was? I was trying to save his little life. I was a hero to these other dogs, and this little brat couldn’t see that? I was offended. My pride was hurt. I decided that I was looking at this the wrong way, got off my high horse and asked for help. Our behavior team sat with me in the office, giving me tips and pointers on how to win him over, helping to lure him closer to me day after day with treats, only to have him snarl with disgust when he got too close. I spent 20 minutes of every day sitting with my back turned to his kennel, offering him treats and not making eye contact. Here and there we made some progress, but I was settling into the idea that Max and Dave were never going to be “a thing”. It was 2am on one of the coldest winter nights, when I remembered Tucker could nose his way out of his kennel and get stuck outside for the night. I imagined poor Tuck shivering to death out there and couldn’t sleep unless I went back to check on him. I hoped into the car, drove down to the shelter, and found Tucker safe and warm inside his kennel. What a sigh of relief. Then I saw Max. His kennel walls were covered in the worst diarrhea I had ever seen. It was everywhere (must have been all those treats I tried to buy his love with). I couldn’t leave him like this. At this time, I was never able to handle him or even enter his kennel. Safety is #1 at PVHS, and Max had made it abundantly clear on many occasions that we weren’t friends. But I couldn’t leave him like this. It would be many hours until the morning shift would come and find Max in this mess. I was going in! Max was doing his usual I’m going to kill you routine as I tried to stay calm and do what needed to be done. I opened the door, siezed his collar and braced for the worst as I reached to leash him up. Then it happened. He didn’t bite me. He didn’t even growl. He looked at me with those brown eyes, almost like he understood that I wasn’t a danger to him. I cleaned it all up as he watched me closely, and we spent some time together gaining each other’s trust before I left. And that was all it took. Max and Dave were “a thing” after all. We spent the next few weeks getting to know each other, and as much as I was happy that he liked me, I said many times that he still wasn’t “my type”. More time passed and Max had alot of interest. He was adopted and brought back and adopted again. These things happen, and Max just wasn’t a good fit for one reason or another. My family adopted Alistair, a husky x from up north who I had an immediate bond with. Alistair lit up our world, and we weren’t even dog people! But he changed our hearts and opened up a life with dogs that we never knew existed. Alistair died suddenly, after a short but heartbreaking battle with seizures. During our last night together, I stayed up all night and rocked him in my arms as he went in and out of consciousness. That morning, we said goodbye. It was devastating. We decided that we would adopt again one day, but there would never be another dog like our Ali, so we would take some time to grieve. Our house felt so empty, so that evening we went to PVHS to play with some dogs, just to have that feeling we were missing so much. Life has a weird way of intervening when you least expect it. That very day, Max was returned from a failed adoption. I saw him in his kennel and was told he failed in another home. Out hearts were vulnerable from losing our Alistair that morning, but we just knew the right thing to do was to foster him for a night or 2, just to make sure he wouldn’t be a danger to volunteers and get one more chance at finding the home he so desperately needed. So, Max came home with us. We were unsure if this would work even temporarily, or how he would react to our cats. But Max knew. Max became the most relaxed, gentle dog the minute he entered our house. After 3 failed homes in less than a year, it became apparent that we were the right home for him. The irony of it all is not lost on me. Love works in the strangest of ways sometimes, and that is always the most special kind of love; the kind you didn’t expect, the kind you didn’t know you wanted. I remember coming home after long days at the shelter trying to win him over, telling my wife “I just don’t like this dog”. Now he is my baby boy and my best friend. An animal’s love has the power to change your heart. Cat people become dog people and vice-versa. Lives are changed. Max loves our daughter and he is kind and gentle to our cats. This is our story, and we though is was worth sharing. Thank you


Dipper arrived at the shelter when he was 3 months old. Just shortly after his first birthday, Dipper went to his furever home! He now has a family and human brother to play with all day long.

We’ll miss you, Dipper!


Leon was barely in the shelter for 24 hours when his new owner fell in love at first sight. As soon as he was vetted and assessed he was whisked off to his new life. Good job, Leo!

Peanut and Egypt

Peanut was in the shelter for 25 weeks, Egypt for 11. When we moved Egypt into Room 1, Peanut practically adopted her immediately (grooming, cuddling, playing with her all day).

We were thrilled when they were adopted together, living on a nice farm with goats to play with!


Eric & Joanne Thompson

We adopted Coco, at 1 years old from the PVHS. It was in the old building. She jumped up right away and rolled over for a tummy rub.  our dog had just died .  We moved from Winnipeg to Morden for my Husband Eric to retire. He grew up in Morden. So we wanted another dog to be our companion. The first day we brought her home she jumped on the chesterfield and just cried. Wasn,t sure why so turned on the TV and she was fine. She is a very loving dog. She loves to play with her ball, catching it.  She loves camping too.  She now comes with us to Mesa, AZ for our winter vacation. I dont think she likes to fly but as soon as she sees us she is fine.  She loves to sit on our lap on the one chair she  is allowed on. She weighs 63 lbs.  She is spoiled. She sneezes for dog treats and seems to know when supper time is and lets us know.  We are so glad we gave her a second chance for love.
She also sings if I get her started
Joanne & Eric Thompson


Howard & Theresa Petkau

We adopted Gus (formerly “Roman”) April 2015. He was 7 months old when he joined our family. We had been looking to add a dog to our pack to be a dedicated companion to my husband on the farm. PVHS helped us by answering questions we had about his nature, temperament, and breed. They allowed us to spend time with him at the shelter and arranged for us to have him meet our other animals. We had not been looking specifically for a Great Dane but when we met him and we had done some research, we applied. He is a happy, gentle lovebug; a typical Great Dane. We had fallen in love with him but we had him meet the rest of our pack and they approved!

Gus is a gentle giant and we love him to bits. He is a companion for my husband during the day working around the farm yard. He loves his plays with Hiccup, our border collie mix. Evenings, he comes inside with us and retires like a prince to the couch. He likes to perch his back end on our lap (we call it the Dane sit), cuddles, belly rubs, and watching hockey play-offs.

He loves his outings into town to walk and meet people, especially kids. Because we adopted him from PVHS, many volunteers and community members got to know him. He enjoys seeing people, getting ear scratches and sharing slobbery kisses. We try to bring him into town as often as possible for walks down Stephen Street or plays at the off-leash dog park.

He is a beauty and a goofball and we are so lucky to have found him at PVHS. Thank you to PVHS for caring for him during his time there and for helping us add him to our family.


Ryan & Katie Frost

Floyd had a rough start to life. A good Samaritan saw him being thrown from a vehicle near Carman in the Spring of 2015 and stopped to help the little puppy. They decided to surrender him to PVHS when he needed more care than they could offer. Floyd went into foster care with a loving family until he was ready to be adopted out.

The Frost family already had a wonderful older dog named Finn and they wanted a companion for him as well as a playful pet for their three young boys to grow up with. They adopted Floyd and the adventure of a new puppy in the home began!

Floyd has been loved by the whole family and enjoys playing with his older brother Finn. He has a big backyard to play in and lots of toys and treats! He is an extremely energetic boy and goes on looong walks with him mom. Sometimes he even gets to go on their treadmill!

We’re so happy that what could have been a tragic end for this guy turned out to be a life where he’s loved and happy and well cared for!