The decision to adopt a pet is a BIG LIFE DECISION!
Before proceeding, please CLICK HERE to review our “Are You Ready for a New Pet?” document.
PVHS aims to ensure our animals go to safe, suitable FOREVER homes. You must be 18 years of age or older to adopt. We reserve the right to decline an adoption application for any reason.
We strive to match up potential adopters with animals that are most likely to thrive in the environment you are able to provide. We are looking to find FOREVER homes for the animals in our care & trust that, as an interested adopter, you too are looking for a pet that is a good match.
Please note that your application may be denied for a specific animal, but this doesn’t mean you have necessarily been declined for ALL animals as we may have another animal that would be a more suitable match. We appreciate your understanding & willingness to work with us to find a match where both you & the animal will be happy!
BEFORE THE ADOPTION
You will be required to fill out a “Lifestyle Assessment for Cats” or “Lifestyle Assessment for Dogs“ (Click to view and print or you can complete the adoption application directly online by clicking HERE) before you can meet/adopt one of our animals.
This form will help us to ensure that the animal you are interested in will be a good match for your environment. We require 2 personal references on your application & you will not be able to take your new pet home the same day, but will be contacted once your application has been processed (usually within 2 business days). The completed Lifestyle Assessment can be completed, scanned & emailed to email@example.com or faxed to 204-822-3904 if not completed directly online.
*Note: We will not adopt animals to outdoor only homes during the winter months & will never adopt animals to outdoor homes if they are not equipped, either physically or mentally, to handle that type of environment.
Adopting an animal from PVHS requires that an adoption contract be signed. By signing the contract, you are agreeing to a number of Terms & Conditions. We are listing these Terms & Conditions below. If you feel you are unable to agree to any of the Terms & Conditions, adopting from PVHS is not the right choice for you.
- I am 18 years of age or older and am adopting the animal described as my own companion animal.
- I will treat this animal humanely and give adequate food, water, shelter and emotional stimulation throughout his or her life.
- I will keep this animal safe from harm and undue stress and will not permit any testing or vivisection to be done on the animal.
- I understand the Pembina Valley Humane Society (PVHS) can examine the animal and investigate the conditions under which it is kept on my property at any reasonable time of day. In the event the PVHS concludes that the animal has or is being neglected, abused or mistreated, I agree to surrender the animal to the PVHS immediately upon demand.
- The animals at PVHS have been attended by a qualified veterinarian and PVHS strives to ensure that they are in optimal health at the time of their adoption; however, on rare occasions an animaI may be affected by a condition or illness that has not been detected by standard shelter practices. I acknowledge that no health or behavior guarantees have been offered.
- I acknowledge the PVHS is not responsible for any veterinary fees incurred after adoption has been finalized.
- I acknowledge that the breed specified for the animal I am adopting is a “best guess” and cannot be guaranteed to be accurate.
- I understand that if I wish to return the above animal to PVHS within 10(ten) days of the date of this document, I will receive a full refund of the fees charged at the time of adoption. I understand that the PVHS will not issue a refund after 10(ten) days of the date of this document, but should I wish to return the animal, I will not be charged a surrender fee at that time.
- I agree to return the animal to PVHS on the scheduled date to have the animal sterilized.
- I confirm that I have never previously owned this animal nor have any family members.
- I understand and acknowledge that the PVHS does not support or condone mutilations such as declawing, tail docking, ear cropping or any other medically unnecessary mutilation.
- In the event that I am no longer able or willing to care for the animal, I cannot sell the animal or place it in the care of another individual, pound facility or rescue, but must return the animal to the PVHS. I will not be required to pay any additional fees at that time OR if I have found a new owner for the animal, I agree to contact the PVHS prior to the new owner taking custody of the animal and process a change of ownership, which is subject to the approval of the PVHS.
AFTER THE ADOPTION
If you adopt a pet from us but are unable to take it to it’s new home within 4 business days, we will require that you pay a fee of $10 for each day it remains at the shelter. This does not apply for puppies and kittens that are adopted before the age of 8 weeks that must remain at the shelter until they are weaned from their mother.
If the pet you selected has not yet been spayed or neutered, you will be required to make it available for sterilization upon our request. We will schedule your pet for surgery at our local veterinarian clinic & will make these arrangements with you when the animal you have adopted nears the age of 6 months. There will be no extra charge to you, as the sterilization cost is included in the adoption fee.
It is important to us to know that the animals we have adopted out are thriving & doing well in their new
home. We encourage you to stay in touch with us after adoption to provide updates and/or photos of your
new pet! Feel free to also ask should you have any questions or concerns. We can be reached at
firstname.lastname@example.org (preferable) or at 204-822-9413. We may contact you on occasion to check in & appreciate your
cooperation in keeping us informed about how your furry companion is doing. If an adopter refuses to communicate with us following adoption, and we have any concerns at all regarding the welfare of the adopted animal, we will pursue all reasonable avenues of having the animal returned to our care immediately.
Please make sure to notify us should you change your address or telephone number so that we can keep our
files up to date.
After you have taken your new pet home, you have 10 days to assess it’s suitability in it’s new environment. If you feel you cannot or should not keep the animal, you will be entitled to a full refund of adoption fees paid, within ten days of it’s return. Please note that arrangements to return an adopted animal must be made with the shelter manager in advance. Beyond ten days, regardless of the time lapse, whether it be a month or multiple years, we require that should your situation change or you decide you don’t wish to keep the animal, that it is returned to our shelter. Again, please note that prior arrangements must be made with the shelter manager regarding the return of any animal.
KITTENS (1 year & under): $115.00 or 2 for $175.00
DOGS (over 1 year): $230.00
PUPPIES & SMALL BREED DOGS (1 year & under): $300.00
If you are ready to meet/adopt a pet, click here to complete our online application form.